Sunday

Scene 4 - Take 2: Sports on the Silver Screen

My last post covered media in sports. This triggered some comparisons with the movie industry and the way reporting on the two can be approached with flexibility when it comes to factual information and some level of fabrication to make the stories more entertaining.

Today I woke up with an idea for my next post... I have decided to count down my top 20 sports movies of all time. I can't say the big screen has done much justice to sports with the movies they have put out there, but there have been a bunch of memorable ones.

#20: Million Dollar Baby
#19: Girl Fight
#18: Caddyshack
#17: When we were Kings
#16: Rocky
#15: Happy Gilmore
#14: Field of Dreams
#13: Tin Cup

#12: Hoop Dreams
#11: Coach Carter
#10: For the Love of the Game
#9: Any Given Sunday
#8: Ali
#7: Friday Night Lights
#6: He Got Game
#5: Remember the Titans
#4: Love & Basketball
#3: Hoosiers
#2: Raging Bull
#1: Rudy


Honorable Mention goes to....

Football: Varsity Blues & The Longest Yard (older version)
Baseball: Major League
Hockey: Slapshot & Miracle
Basketball: White men can't Jump & Above the Rim
Misc: Cool Runnings & Jerry Maguire

There you have it... My favourite sports movies. Some of the ones I have listed have the premise of sports but are about so much more. If there are any movies you think I overlooked or you feel deserve to be on this list go ahead and list them. Until tomorrow when I return with my usual top 5 stories I shall leave you a quote..

"All's fair in love and basketball." - Quincy in the movie Love & Basketball

4 comments:

Jdid said...

you ranked love and basketball ahead of he got game? :-) for the record blue chip was kinda nice too.

-_- said...

OMG...SOMEBODY ELSE LOVES GIRLFIGHT!!!! (yessss)

Michelle Rodriguez has so much danged talent. WHY did she do "Fast and Furious"? UGH!!!

J-did just won't get it...yeah Love and Basketball comes before He Got Game... a ha ha ha !

As for the other ones... haven't seen many of them. Man, I thought Ali was boring as hell. I fell asleep. I ain't even ashamed to tell ya.

Happy Gilmore! LMAO!!! What about The Waterboy! a hahahahah

I heard Friday Night Lights and Any Given Sunday are great movies, but I haven't seen 'em.

Remember The Titans is GREAT.

Anonymous said...

Havnt seen a lot of the movies...not really interested haha...Im a 16 year old girl
Love & Basketball = #1...
Coach Carter coming in at a close 2nd
Might Ducks 1-3 haha!...
Hardball....
White man can't jump...
hmmm what else
happy gilmore/waterboy funny stuff...
Remember the Titans was amazing
Girl Fight and Million Dollar Baby were amazing...
and thats bout it for me
oh yea Friday Night Lights was really good too although it took me like 3 days to watch it between school and homework! hehe...well keep it up sis
see ya in 8 days!!!
--nids

Nat said...

@jdid: shaq in a movie nuh mek it for me. I seen it though

@solitaire: Thanx for defending my choice of love & basketball. I love so many things about that movie.. ditto with girlfight! you gotta watch any given sunday.. Al Pacino is intense int hat movie.

@nids: one week and i regain chauffeur status driving you girls all ova the place. You betta be gettin that g2 soon!!
I am surprised hardball isn't your #2 ... also can't belive mighty ducks still makes your list. See ya soon