Friday

I have a date with my TV

I wanna take a minute to thank the people who invented the PVR (TiVO : for all you American's) I do not know how I functioned without it... Actually I do but it was not so legal I guess, the whole download TV shows phenomenon. Thing is, sports precede TV shows on my priority list when it comes to my Daily TV lineup. Monday Night Football is watched live while, unlike before, I can just record all my other junk I love to watch. Wednesday is a tough night for me, as there are 6 1-hour long shows I follow. If I had no life it may be easy to watch 6 hours of TV straight (not that it would be healthy at all) but this is not the case... I do chose to go out with my friends and so this PVR has become like my new best friend but this one doesn't whine if I don't hang out with it... just sits patiently till I make a date with it and shut out the rest of the world.

Last Sunday was crazy!!! There was a Jays game to watch... then the world championships of hockey and all that was extra programming adding to the the ongoing NBA playoffs that had 3 games on the schedule that day. This heavy sports line-up meant I was going to rely on my PVR once again to take care of shows like Desperate Housewives and Greys Anatomy as well as Animation Domination (Family Guy and American Dad)
Monday nights after football season was great this year..,having converted my friends into serious "24" junkies I have them over to watch the show and then play poker or video games. I just let my PVR take care of my other Monday night shows. The other day my TV schedule was so nuts and I had made a promise to my friends I would spend some time with them. Problem was there was a big game on TV and they knew I was a little ticked off I was going to miss it. Then I looked over and grinned.. I was looking right at my PVR. This wonderful invention was going to allow me to tape the whole game and my other shows going on at that time and when I came home it would all be waiting for me. Sure I avoided every TV channel and radio station that might blurt out the score but it was sweet to come home and have a ball game to watch at 1 am :)

Now you might be thinking " dayum this woman is crazy!" but really... I grew up in a country where I had one television channel and that too the programming was in my native language which I barely speak. Yes it was rough watchin the Cosby show in Urdu and trying to watch the smurfs as a kid in a language I can barely speak. TV played no role in my life until I moved to North America 10 years ago and I don't know if its a good thing ( I watch a basketball game v/s play one with friends) but at the same time I feel I'm making up for lost time.. I did enough bike riding and colouring in books to keep me busy when I had no TV to watch but now I take pleasure in it and I have no problems telling my friends on a Sunday... " naa I aint leaving my couch ... I HAVE A DATE WITH MY PVR"

Here is a list of my top 20 TV shows and on any given day you will find my PVR taking care of archiving them for me :)
1: 24 - Drama/Action
2: Alias - Drama/Action
3: Lost - Drama/Action
4: Desperate Housewives - Soapy/Drama
5: Grey's Anatomy - Medical/Drama
6: Las Vegas - Drama
7: The O.C - Teen/Soapy/Drama
8: Numb3rs - Crime/Drama
9: Kevin Hill - Law/Drama
10-12: CSI ( NY, LV and Miami) - Crime/Drama
13: The Apprentice- RealityTV
14: The Amazing Race - RealityTV
15: America's Next Top Model - RealityTV
16: Joey - Sitcom/Comdey
17: Scrubs- Sitcom/Comedy
18: One Tree Hill- Teen/Soapy/Drama
19: Gilmore Girls - Teen/Sopay/Drama
20- Family Guy - Animation/Comedy

The quote i chose seemed fitting to be related to technology. I decided to use humour for this one... ENJOY :)
"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three." - Alice Kahn

3 comments:

Jdid said...

I'm still low tech with the vcr lol. Actually I need to watch sports live, the only thing I can tape and watch is raptors games and even then I have to know that they've won to do that

24 finale monday! yipee! I thought I was the only geek watching numb3rs lol. I missed the finale though, sigh!

Nat said...

@jdid: omg.. 24 is gonna be good... i have heard some spoilers though...Numb3rs is a wicked show.. I t better be back next season. I hate gettin attatched to new shows 9 kevin hill) that basically get cancelled after a short time

Nat said...

@ wannabe ceo: 24 defiantely deserves priority... here we have time shifting if you have digital cable so you dont need to have tivo to watch both shows you watch one eastern time the other mountain time and you are good to go :)